Originally published in the Rice lake Chronotype. 1/14/48.
Back in the 1880's this community was still a wilderness.
Among the early settlers was Steven Faurot. He was the first settler to take up a homestead. He has passed away and his son, Milton who lived on the old homestead after his father's death has also passed away.
Another early settler was L. M. Knutson who bought a tract of land from the railroad company in the year 1888. He came from Stillwater, Minn. He walked from what is now Clayton to what is now the Section Ten community in the year 1875. No railroads existed between Clayton and Cumberland at that time. He hauled logs for the Knapp, Stout Lumber company to Miller creek (now called Yellow River). They hauled most of the logs with oxen. Mules were sometimes used for hauling but were never considered a success for hauling logs because they could not pull as much as oxen.
The lady who later became L M. Knutson’s wife came from Connecticut and taught school for a time near there. After the marriage they built a log cabin in the community. The log cabin served as a home for many years and the lumber used in building the house which still stands on the farm of their son, Louis E. Knutson, was sawed at a sawmill at Fish lake to the north of the community.
Andrew Pekrul, now deceased, came to the community shortly after the Knutson's. L. M. Knutson dug the first well in the community on his property and he also dug the second well for Mr. Pekrul. Knutson’s also had the first windmill in the community.
The last lumber camp in this community, known as Jacks camp, was located on Miller creek. It was called Jack's camp because the name of the boss was Jack Harrington. It belonged to Knapp, Stout Lumber Company.
One-fourth of a mile down die stream from the camp a. dam was built to raise the water level of this stream in order to enable them to float the logs down stream to Menomonie. This was known as Jack's dam and was located on the present Lind and Booth farms.
When the water level was raised, it flooded the land almost up to what is now Highway .48. L. E. Knutson told us that he remembers seeing men on the floating logs looking like a swarm of bees.
On the east side of the river north at the dun was an Indian graveyard. There was another one a fourth of a mile down stream. In this Cutlib, daughter of the chief of the Beaver Dam Indians, was buried. Some of the younger persons were tempted to dig into the graves for relics but the parents insisted that the bodies should be allowed to rest in peace. Even at that some of the curious persons dug around but never found any relics. All that they found, when some land caved in was some bones and a piece of pike pole.
Another lumber camp was located on the east side of the community on what is now Watrud's farm. This camp was closed in 1892. It was located on Hickey creek that was named after the family of that name. Both Miller creek and Hickey creek were wonderful trout streams in which many trout were caught at that time and are still being caught at the present time.
The Indians used to make maple syrup in the woods just southeast of the present school. While malting syrup they camped on Miller Creek.
The Faurots and Knutsons, who lived only three-fourths of a mile from each other, did not become acquainted for a long time. This indicates that the woods must have been dense and that the roads were scarce. The only means of travel was walking so visiting the neighbors was not as simple as it is today.
Other early settlers were Krizenskys, Tangwells, Falkenthals, Gustafsons and Poulters. All of these farms except Gustafson's are still operated by the sons of the early settlers.
In the year 1905 a meeting was held at the home of Steven Faurot and a school district was organized. The present site was chosen for a schoolhouse. An acre of land was purchased from Peter Ness for twenty‑five dollar. A wood frame building was erected by Dave Bringold
of the Silve Lake community. Gust Olson was first clerk, Evan Toff was the first treasurer, and Andrew Pekrul was the first director. Jessie Knutson was the first teacher, at a salary of twenty-five dollars per month. In 1923 a new brick building was erected on the same site. Pearl Timblin was the first teacher in this schoolhouse.
In 1917 a cooperative cheese company was organized and a factory was built across from the schoolhouse. Oscar Tappon was the first cheesemaker. This factory served the community until 1927 when the organization was dissolved. A small grocery store was also housed in the factory building for several years making it handy for the milk patrons to obtain a few groceries when they delivered milk. The store was discontinued when the cheese factory was closed in.
1934 Lee Stuntz and wife bought the property and he continued to haul milk for the Rice Lake Creamery. His wife operated a thriving little grocery store and the people were again able to get some groceries without going to Rice Lake or Cumberland. A gas pump was also installed.
In the fall of 1935 Mr. and Mrs. Stuntz decided to move to Rice Lake and the store was then operated by Mr. and Mrs. Herman Behne until the spring of 1944. Today the building is owned and occupied by Edgar Organs. He operates a milk route for the Abbotts Dairy at Cameron.
The first Barron County R.E.A. meeting was held in our schoolhouse in the winter of 1934. It was promoted by Nets Nelson at one of the evening agriculture classes for farmers. As a result many farms in Barron and adjoining counties now have electricity.
In the year 1940 Highway 48 was partly re-routed so that it now runs through the community instead of south of it. As a result many farm and school buildings lie only a short distance from a well kept highway.
Stanfold can boast of two active organizations, a Homemakers club and a 4-H club, both of which have been in existence for a long time.